Northland School Division is taking an important step towards improving student attendance across the jurisdiction. Between April, 2014 and January, 2015, the Attendance Improvement Committee reviewed current attendance practices and gathered input from school communities. This work has generated 29 recommendations; many of which support the vision of Inspiring Education and the vision for Aboriginal Education Excellence.
The recommendations are listed in the Attendance Improvement Initiative - Every Day Counts Report which was approved by the Northland Board January 30, 2015.
The Attendance Improvement Initiative – ‘Every Day Counts’ Report acknowledges recommendation 3 of the Northland Inquiry Team Report by setting into motion actions that further support student engagement by building bridges with our parents and school communities. The report also emphasizes the importance of accurate data collection processes, communication, school-based incentives, central office support, school community collaboration and building community capacity and leadership.
Attendance Improvement Initiative - "Every Day Counts Vision and Mission
NSD is committed to establish standards that promote and support student attendance improvement across the Division.
Our core focus and purpose for attendance improvement is to ensure the following goals are achieved:
- To develop attendance gathering/collection processes that promote confidence and accuracy at all levels of the school division.
- To ensure that the resources provided to support student attendance improvement are used in the best interest of students.
- To ensure that our attendance improvement strategies engage our school communities, create an awareness of the importance of regular school attendance and are respectful of community cultural perspectives.
- To establish standards and action protocols to ensure that NSD61 maintains and communicates accurate attendance data and best practices.
- To ensure attendance practices are aligned with Sections 12, 13, 14, and 15 of the School Act and that all school-aged children access educational programming that support high school graduation and successful post-secondary opportunities.
For more information about the Attendance Improvement Initiative "Every Day Counts", please check out Resources.