On May 4, 2017, the new Northland School Division Act received Royal Assent in the Legislative Assembly of Alberta. The proclamation results in the reinstatement of an elected board in Northland School Division (NSD). School Board Trustee Elections take place October 16, 2017.
Northland School Division Act - Key Elements
Under the new Northland School Division Act:
- NSD will have a governance structure of between seven and eleven wards. One trustee is elected in each ward.
- The Board of the NSD is required to establish a formal engagement process for engaging with the wards, First Nations, Métis and other communities to whom we provide education services, Treaty 8 First Nations of Alberta, Métis Settlements General Council and the Council of School Councils with respect to the establishments of the board's strategic direction.
- Persons living on reserve where NSD has a tuition or education services agreement with the Nation are eligible to vote and/or run in trustee elections.
- Transition from local school board committees to school councils. School councils will be guided by the School Act and School Council Regulation.
- Each ward shall have a ward council that consists of the trustee from the ward, a member of each school council in the ward and other persons that may become members.
Click here to view the Northland School Division Act
Click here to view the Northland School Division Act pamphlet