Tansi, Edlánat’e, Hello,
Northland School Division is recognized as being culturally and geographically unique. Covering 288,347 square kilometres, we provide student centered learning opportunities to primarily First Nation and Métis students located in the northern half of Alberta. The division serves approximately 2600 students and employ 500 staff in 24 schools.
We take pride in the fact that we:
- Focus on literacy and numeracy
- Focus on Indigenous language and culture
- Develop partnerships to benefit student learning
- Continue to see improvement with community engagement
- Provide professional development opportunities for educators
- Provide and use the latest technology in our instruction
- Host a New Teacher Orientation in one of our school communities annually
- Organize land-based learning opportunities
- Provide a hot lunch program for students
- Provide housing for educators
The Northland Board is responsible for ensuring that all students have the opportunity to acquire knowledge, skills and attitudes needed to be self-reliant, responsible, caring and contributing members of their individual communities and the larger society
Northland School Division will provide quality educational experiences and opportunities for all students.
"Every student is a lifelong learner and successful in life"
Community Engagement Framework and a Vision for Aboriginal Education Excellence
On January 11, 2011, then Minister of Education Dave Hancock named a community-based team to provide strategic advice, direction and leadership in securing community engagement in Northland School Division. The Northland Community Engagement Team's (NCET) work is captured in Kids First, the Report of the Northland Community Engagement Team. The report describes a process for engaging communities in Northland School Division No.61. In addition to the Community Engagement Framework, Kids First sets out a vision for excellence in Aboriginal education (See images and video below). Click here to view the Northland Community Engagement Team Report.