Location: Wood Buffalo area
Competition #: 5631
Open To: Everyone
Date Posted: May 30th, 2017
Closing Date: Open Ended
Northland School Division No. 61 is seeking an advocate of Indigenous Education who supports FNMI Language and Culture to help us lead the way in First Nations, Métis and Inuit (FNMI) Education. Applications are invited for the position of a full-time Addictions Counsellor to begin effective immediately to August 31st, 2018 with the possibility of extension. This is a twelve month position that will report to the Director of Student Services. The position will serve all communities in the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo, including Fort McKay, Anzac, Janvier and Conklin.
- Working with clients who are addicted to alcohol, drugs, tobacco, etc.
- Assessing client strengths, problem areas, severity of dependence and readiness to change
- Developing client treatment plans that are based on research, clinical experience and client history
- Providing information about addiction issues and about available services and programs and making appropriate referrals where necessary
- Conducting information sessions and therapy groups as required
- Counselling affected individuals and family members through all stages of recovery using appropriate intervention strategies and treatment approaches
- Reviewing, evaluating and documenting client progress
- Providing aftercare and follow up as appropriate
- Developing public education, prevention and health promotion programs
- Working with organizations, institutions and communities to develop, implement and evaluate health and wellness programs
- A related university degree is preferred
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Ability to manage time effectively
- A valid driver’s license is required as extensive travel is involved.
The successful candidate should be emotionally mature and have patience and tolerance for beliefs that differ from their own. They should enjoy working with people, finding innovative solutions to problems and helping others. Salary will be commensurate with qualifications. A comprehensive benefit package is provided.
Please apply to: Stephanie Sutherland, Director of Student Services, Northland School Division No. 61, P.O. Bag 1400, 9809 77 Avenue, Peace River, Alberta, T8S 1V2. Phone: 780-624-2060 ext. 6162. Fax: 780-624-5914. Email: Stephanie.Sutherland@nsd61.ca
Kindly note that offers of employment will be conditional on receipt of a satisfactory criminal record check. We thank all applicants but only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.